Push in NFL Betting: The Full Explanation
Betting on NFL games offers a wide array of wager types and outcomes. While wins and losses are straightforward, there’s one term that might leave newcomers scratching their heads: the “push.”
So, what is push in NFL betting? This article will explain it all in simple terms.
The Push Defined
In NFL betting, a “push” occurs when the final point spread, total, or outcome is exactly the same as the betting line. In simpler terms, it means the wager neither wins nor loses. When a push happens, bettors typically get their original stake returned.
For instance, if you bet on the Steelers with a -7 point spread and they win by exactly 7 points, the result is a push. You don’t win any money, but you also don’t lose your initial bet.
Common Scenarios for a Push
- Point Spread Bets: As in the example above, if a team wins, loses, or draws in a manner that exactly matches the spread set by the bookmaker.
- Over/Under Bets: If you wager on an over/under total of 45 points and the game ends with a combined score of exactly 45, it’s a push.
- Moneyline Bets: Pushes are rarer with moneyline bets but can occur, for instance, if an NFL regular-season game ends in a tie and there’s no overtime.
What Happens to Your Bet?
When a push occurs:
- The bettor receives their initial wager back.
- No profit is made, but no money is lost either.
- Some parlays will reduce to a lower number of teams in the event of a push.
How to Handle a Push
- Stay Calm: Remember, a push isn’t a loss. It’s a neutral outcome where your original stake is returned.
- Review Your Betting Strategy: Consistent pushes might indicate you’re playing it too safe. Adjust your strategy as needed.
- Learn and Adapt: Over time, understanding team dynamics and matchups can help you better predict outcomes and avoid pushes.
In Conclusion: Embracing the Push
Understanding what is push in NFL betting is essential for every bettor. While it might seem confusing at first, recognizing and anticipating pushes can be a valuable skill, ensuring you navigate the world of NFL wagers confidently and successfully.
Always remember to bet responsibly and continue learning with every game!