April 14, 2023, 8:10 PM ET Minute Maid Park, Houston, TX

As the Texas Rangers and Houston Astros prepare for an exciting showdown on April 14th at 8:10 PM ET, baseball enthusiasts and bettors are eager to see how these in-state rivals will fare against one another.

Taking place at the iconic Minute Maid Park in Houston, this MLB game promises to be an action-packed event that should not be missed. So, let’s dive into the details of the upcoming game, including pitching matchups and betting odds, to give you the best possible Rangers vs Astros prediction.

Betting Odds:

  • Texas Rangers (Martin Perez): +141
  • Houston Astros (Luis Garcia): -154
  • Over/Under: 8.5

Previous Encounter: In their last meeting on September 7, 2022, the Astros edged out the Rangers in a tight 4-3 victory.

Pitching Matchup

Starting on the mound for the Texas Rangers is left-hander Martin Perez, who currently holds a 2.53 ERA, 1.500 WHIP, and a 1-1 win-loss record.

Averaging 5.3 innings per start, Perez has a 9-8 record against the Astros, with a 3.23 ERA and a 1.264 WHIP. His team has posted a 10-9 record (+3.4 units) in these starts, with the over-under record being 5-14 (-9.9 units).

On the other side, right-handed pitcher Luis Garcia will be starting for the Houston Astros. Boasting a 7.00 ERA, 2.000 WHIP, and a 0-1 record, Garcia averages 4.5 innings per start. Though he hasn’t faced the Texas Rangers yet, pitchers often have an advantage in their first encounter with an opposing team.

Bullpen Performance

The Rangers bullpen has an ERA of 2.84, while the Astros bullpen has a slightly higher ERA of 4.34.

As we analyze the game details, pitching matchups, and betting odds, keep reading for the second part of our MLB predictions, where we’ll dive into hitting stats, betting trends, and our recommended picks for the Rangers vs Astros game.

Hitting Performance

The Texas Rangers have displayed a solid performance this season, averaging 5.1 runs per game with a batting average of 0.242 and an OBP of 0.307. Their performance on the road has been slightly lower, scoring 3.7 runs per game.

The Houston Astros, on the other hand, have been more potent offensively, averaging 5.6 runs per game with a batting average of 0.256 and an OBP of 0.329. When facing left-handed pitchers, the Astros’ offensive output increases, averaging 7 runs per game.

MLB Betting Model Prediction

My baseball betting model (MLB prediction model) indicates a 68.49% chance of victory for the Houston Astros and a 31.51% chance for the Texas Rangers. Converting these implied probabilities into odds results in projected betting odds of +217 for the Rangers and -217 for the Astros. According to this MLB prediction model, there is value in backing the Astros, as the difference in probabilities suggests a positive expected value (+EV) for them.

Sportsbooks currently list the Houston Astros at -154, making them slightly underrated based on my predictive model and analysis.

Interesting Betting Trends

Important: While betting trends should not be considered the primary indicator of what will happen in MLB games, they can offer some interesting insights. It is crucial to remember that trends have little to no predictive power and should be approached cautiously.

  • The Rangers have struggled in recent meetings with the Astros, going 15-40 in their last 55 encounters.
  • The Rangers’ record is even worse in Houston, with a 16-38 record in their last 54 meetings.
  • Over the past three seasons, the Astros have dominated the Rangers, boasting a 16-3 record (+9.0 Units) against them.

Rangers vs Astros Prediction and Recommended MLB Pick

The Texas Rangers, with a 7-5 record, have been a strong team this season. However, they face a formidable opponent in the Houston Astros, one of the league’s top teams despite their 6-7 start to the season. The Astros excel against left-handed pitchers, having scored 13 runs in their last three games against southpaw Perez.

Taking into account all available information and my MLB prediction model, I believe the Houston Astros offer value at -154.

Recommended Best Bet: Houston Astros -154

To maximize profits, be sure to shop around for the best lines and take advantage of any other benefits provided by sportsbooks.

Always play responsibly and never blindly follow anyone’s advice. Conduct your own research before placing bets and make sure you understand the mechanics of sports betting and how to apply numbers in betting before risking your money.

Are you a passionate sports bettor looking to improve your baseball betting strategies? Sign up for our 30-day email betting course, where you’ll receive daily sports betting lessons. You can also learn how to bet with your own MLB betting model spreadsheet. Click here to discover more and start making smarter predictions today!

Access my free content and join exclusive, private email circle for strategic advice, personal stories, and expert tips.

No spam. Betting value only.