As the NHL season progresses, the Penguins vs Islanders prediction is garnering significant attention among hockey analysts and enthusiasts. This matchup pits the Pittsburgh Penguins, known for their solid gameplay, against the New York Islanders, who have been striving to find their rhythm this season. This Penguins vs Islanders prediction is not just about the current standings but also about the potential intensity and competitiveness of the matchup.

Pittsburgh Penguins vs New York Islanders NHL Preview – December 27, 2023

Game Overview

The Pittsburgh Penguins are set to clash with the New York Islanders in a highly anticipated NHL game. This match is scheduled for December 27, 2023, at 7:30 PM ET, at the UBS Arena in Elmont, New York.

Venue and Time

  • Location: UBS Arena, Elmont, New York
  • Date & Time: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, at 7:30 PM ET
  • Broadcast: The game will be aired on MSGSN, SportsNet PT, and ESPN+.

Team Statistics and Standings

Pittsburgh Penguins

  • Overall Record: 15-13-4
  • Performance Insights:
    • The Penguins have a mixed record of 3-3-2 against the Metropolitan Division.
    • Sidney Crosby leads the team with 19 goals and 16 assists.
    • In goal, Alex Nedeljkovic has a .914 save percentage, ranking 15th in the NHL.
  • Rankings:
    • Goals Scored: 26th (2.84 AVG)
    • Goals Allowed: 10th (2.78 AVG)
    • Power Play %: 27th (13.73%)
    • Penalty Kill %: 10th (82.69%)

New York Islanders

  • Overall Record: 16-8-9
  • Performance Insights:
    • The Islanders are 6-2-4 against Metropolitan Division opponents.
    • Mathew Barzal and Bo Horvat are key offensive contributors for the team.
    • Semyon Varlamov has a .919% save percentage, the eighth-best in the league.
  • Rankings:
    • Goals Scored: 15th (3.12 AVG)
    • Goals Allowed: 17th (3.18 AVG)
    • Power Play %: 6th (24.73%)
    • Penalty Kill %: 32nd (71%)
%ALT_TXT%%

Key Players to Watch

Pittsburgh Penguins

  • Jake Guentzel: 35 points (14 goals, 21 assists)
  • Sidney Crosby: 35 points (19 goals, 16 assists)
  • Evgeni Malkin: 11 goals and 16 assists

New York Islanders

  • Mathew Barzal: 35 points (10 goals, 25 assists)
  • Bo Horvat: 14 goals and 19 assists
  • Semyon Varlamov: 6-4-2 record, 2.8 GAA

Sportsbooks Odds, Spreads, and Totals

  • Favorite: Islanders (-125 to -126)
  • Underdog: Penguins (+105)
  • Total: 6 to 6.5 Goals

Interesting News and Injuries

  • Pittsburgh Penguins: Bryan Rust (upper-body) is on LTIR and will not play against the Islanders.
  • New York Islanders: Keep an eye out for any last-minute updates or changes to the lineup.

Betting Trends and Insights

  • Pittsburgh Penguins:
    • Played 18 games with over 6 goals this season.
    • Have won 58.3% of games when listed as an underdog.
  • New York Islanders:
    • 8-5 as a moneyline favorite this season.
    • Won 58.3% of games with moneyline odds of -125 or shorter.

Offensive and Defensive Matchup

A thorough analysis of the Penguins vs Islanders prediction reveals key insights into both teams’ offensive and defensive capabilities. The Penguins average 2.81 goals on 32.31 shots per 60 minutes, demonstrating a solid offensive output. On the other hand, the Islanders slightly edge them out, scoring 3.06 goals from 29.5 shots per 60 minutes.

Defensively, the Penguins have been more effective, allowing 2.69 goals on 30.06 shots per 60 minutes, compared to the Islanders’ 3.12 goals against on 35.09 shots. This suggests that the Penguins might have a slight edge in terms of defensive solidity.

Advanced Metrics Insights

In any Penguins vs Islanders prediction, advanced metrics such as Corsi For percentage (CF%) and Fenwick For percentage (FF%) offer deeper insights. The Penguins have a CF% of 51.99 and an FF% of 50.93, indicating competitive puck control. Conversely, the Islanders, with a CF% of 44.53 and FF% of 45.56, might struggle in maintaining possession and generating shots compared to the Penguins.

Goalie Matchup

The goaltending matchup is a critical component of any Penguins vs Islanders prediction. The Penguins’ Tristan Jarry, with a save percentage of 0.911 and an expected 2.76 goals against, is likely to be a key factor. The Islanders’ Ilya Sorokin, holding a 0.921 save percentage and a 2.71 expected goals against, could also play a pivotal role in their defense strategy.

NHL Betting Model Predictions

Penguins vs Islanders Prediction

The NHL betting model gives the Penguins a higher win probability of 54.65%, while the Islanders have a lower probability of 45.35%. Despite these figures, the recommended NHL pick is the Pittsburgh Penguins, with a calculated value suggesting a moderate advantage.

Best NHL: Bet Underdog

Considering the teams’ performances and other statistical analyses, the best NHL bet seems to be backing the Pittsburgh Penguins. This bet acknowledges the close nature of the matchup and the potential value in backing the moderately favored team.

Conclusion for Penguins vs Islanders Prediction and Betting Tips

In conclusion, the Penguins vs Islanders prediction points to a potentially close game, with the Penguins slightly favored but not without challenges from the Islanders. Bettors should consider the teams’ current forms, the goaltending matchup, and the advanced metrics when making their decisions. For those looking to refine their betting strategies, exploring sports betting models and educational resources can offer valuable insights for more informed betting decisions.

Access my free content and join exclusive, private email circle for strategic advice, personal stories, and expert tips.

No spam. Betting value only.