Astros vs Tigers Prediction

In the Astros vs. Tigers prediction, the MLB betting model gives Houston a 57.34% win probability against Detroit’s 42.66%. With Framber Valdez pitching and Houston’s dynamic offense, the Astros are projected to outperform Casey Mize’s Tigers lineup. Take the Astros at -133 as the recommended pick.


In this Astros vs Tigers Prediction for Friday, May 10, 2024, we analyze the pitching duel between Houston’s Framber Valdez and Detroit’s Casey Mize. With sportsbook odds available and advanced stats in hand, we’ll break down each team’s strengths, the pitching matchup, and provide our recommended MLB betting pick based on model projections.

Game Info & Sportsbook Odds

  • Date: Friday, May 10, 2024
  • Ballpark: Comerica Park, Detroit, MI

Sportsbook Odds

  • Away Team: Houston Astros
  • Decimal odds: 1.75
  • US odds: -133
  • Home Team: Detroit Tigers
  • Decimal odds: 2.03
  • US odds: 103

Note: Odds can change. Always check the best MLB odds across different sportsbooks.

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Starting Pitchers

Houston Astros: Framber Valdez (LHP)

  • ERA: 3.97
  • SIERA: 3.44
  • xFIP: 3.36
  • K/9: 7.54
  • BB/9: 2.78
  • WHIP: 1.41
  • GB/FB: 4.11
  • xERA: 4.48

Detroit Tigers: Casey Mize (RHP)

  • ERA: 3.98
  • SIERA: 4.04
  • xFIP: 3.86
  • K/9: 6.82
  • BB/9: 1.99
  • WHIP: 1.33
  • GB/FB: 1.55
  • xERA: 3.82

Advanced Pitching Analysis

Framber Valdez exhibits a slightly stronger statistical profile than Casey Mize. Valdez has better strikeout (K/9) and ground-ball rates (GB/FB), suggesting greater control over the strike zone and a higher likelihood of inducing groundouts. Despite Valdez’s higher WHIP, his SIERA and xFIP indicate that he consistently suppresses hard contact and controls innings.

On the other hand, Mize’s lower BB/9 hints at stronger command, minimizing walks. Although his strikeout numbers are lower than Valdez’s, his xERA is slightly better, demonstrating his ability to limit damage.

Bullpen Matchup

  • Houston Astros: Ranked 21st
  • Detroit Tigers: Ranked 20th

The bullpens for both teams are similar in performance, though neither is ranked highly. Given the starting pitching matchup and potential high leverage innings, both teams may struggle with relief pitching in tight situations.

Offensive (Hitting) Matchup

  • Houston Astros:
  • Overall Rank: 3rd
  • vs. LHP: 3rd
  • vs. RHP: 7th
  • Detroit Tigers:
  • Overall Rank: 24th
  • vs. LHP: 14th
  • vs. RHP: 23rd

Houston’s offense is more dynamic and well-rounded, especially against left-handers, whereas the Tigers struggle against right-handed pitching. This disparity gives the Astros a considerable edge.

Astros vs Tigers Prediction

MLB Betting Model Probability

  • Houston Astros (Framber Valdez): 57.34%
  • Projected US odds: -134
  • Projected decimal odds: 1.74
  • Detroit Tigers (Casey Mize): 42.66%
  • Projected US odds: 134
  • Projected decimal odds: 2.34

Recommended MLB Pick

Side: Houston Astros
Pitcher: Framber Valdez
Odds: -133
Adjusted Kelly Criterion Calculated Value: 0.05
Confidence: Tiny value

Despite the marginal betting value, the model recommends the Astros as the favored pick based on the strength of their lineup and Valdez’s superior strikeout ability.

Conclusion: Astros vs Tigers Prediction

In this Astros vs Tigers Prediction, the Astros hold a clear advantage due to their powerful lineup and Framber Valdez’s pitching. The Tigers’ offense struggles against quality right-handed pitching, and Casey Mize may face challenges containing Houston’s lineup.

Use this analysis as guidance, but don’t blindly follow predictions without shopping around for the best MLB odds. Consider learning more about sports betting models to make informed picks, and check out my betting courses for pro-level strategies.

Access my free content and join exclusive, private email circle for strategic advice, personal stories, and expert tips.

No spam. Betting value only.