Angels vs Athletics Prediction

For the Angels vs Athletics prediction on July 2, 2024, our MLB betting model gives the Athletics a 53.55% win probability, translating to -115 odds. Despite close sportsbook odds, the Athletics’ balanced offense and stronger bullpen give them a slight edge. Bet smart and consider the Athletics for this matchup.


Introduction

As the Los Angeles Angels face off against the Oakland Athletics on Tuesday, July 2, 2024, at the Oakland Coliseum, all eyes are on this thrilling matchup. Our Angels vs Athletics prediction delves into the key aspects of the game, analyzing starting pitchers, bullpen strength, and offensive capabilities to provide a comprehensive betting guide. With Jose Soriano on the mound for the Angels and Mitch Spence pitching for the Athletics, this game promises to be a closely contested battle. Our detailed analysis and MLB betting model will help you make informed decisions, ensuring you get the best value from your bets.

Game Info & Sportsbook Odds

  • Date: Tuesday, July 2, 2024
  • Ballpark: Oakland Coliseum

Teams & Odds

  • Away Team: Los Angeles Angels – Decimal Odds: 1.90 – US Odds: -111
  • Home Team: Oakland Athletics – Decimal Odds: 1.90 – US Odds: -111

Note: Odds can change. Always check the best MLB odds on different sportsbooks.

Starting Pitchers Analysis

Los Angeles Angels: Jose Soriano

  • Hand: Right Handed Pitcher
  • ERA: 3.39

Advanced Stats:

  • SIERA: 3.88
  • xFIP: 3.68
  • K/9: 7.73
  • BB/9: 3.39
  • WHIP: 1.18
  • GB/FB: 2.49
  • xERA: 3.45

Jose Soriano has been a reliable arm for the Angels this season. His solid ERA of 3.39 reflects his ability to limit runs effectively. His advanced stats, like a SIERA of 3.88 and xFIP of 3.68, indicate that his performance is sustainable, supported by his decent strikeout rate (K/9 of 7.73) and manageable walk rate (BB/9 of 3.39). Soriano’s WHIP of 1.18 and ground ball to fly ball ratio (GB/FB) of 2.49 further illustrate his capability to control the game by inducing ground balls, which is crucial against a team like the Athletics.

Oakland Athletics: Mitch Spence

  • Hand: Right Handed Pitcher
  • ERA: 4.40

Advanced Stats:

  • SIERA: 4.09
  • xFIP: 4.05
  • K/9: 7.12
  • BB/9: 1.88
  • WHIP: 1.33
  • GB/FB: 1.19
  • xERA: 4.01

Mitch Spence, on the other hand, has had a bit of a rough season with an ERA of 4.40. However, his SIERA of 4.09 and xFIP of 4.05 suggest that he might be slightly better than his ERA indicates. His strikeout rate (K/9 of 7.12) is respectable, and his walk rate (BB/9 of 1.88) is excellent, demonstrating his control on the mound. Despite a higher WHIP of 1.33, Spence’s ability to limit walks could play a significant role in this matchup.

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Bullpen Matchup Analysis

  • Los Angeles Angels Bullpen Rank: 24th
  • Oakland Athletics Bullpen Rank: 11th

The Athletics have a clear edge in the bullpen department, ranking 11th compared to the Angels’ 24th. This disparity could be a critical factor in the later innings, especially if the game is close. The Athletics’ bullpen has shown greater consistency and effectiveness throughout the season, giving them a potential advantage in maintaining leads or keeping the game within reach.

Offensive (Hitting) Matchup

Los Angeles Angels

  • Overall Rank: 17th
  • Rank vs Left Handed Pitchers: 3rd
  • Rank vs Right Handed Pitchers: 22nd

Oakland Athletics

  • Overall Rank: 14th
  • Rank vs Left Handed Pitchers: 18th
  • Rank vs Right Handed Pitchers: 14th

The Angels excel against left-handed pitchers, ranking 3rd, but they struggle significantly against right-handed pitchers, ranking 22nd. This is a notable disadvantage as they face right-hander Mitch Spence. Conversely, the Athletics are more balanced, with a 14th overall ranking and similar effectiveness against right-handed pitchers, which should give them a consistent offensive output in this game.

Angels vs Athletics Prediction

MLB Betting Model Probability for Angels vs Athletics Prediction

Probability & Projected Odds

  • Los Angeles Angels (Jose Soriano): 46.45% – MLB Model Projected US Odds: 115 – MLB Model Projected Decimal Odds: 2.15
  • Oakland Athletics (Mitch Spence): 53.55% – MLB Model Projected US Odds: -115 – MLB Model Projected Decimal Odds: 1.87

According to our MLB betting model, the Athletics have a slight edge with a 53.55% probability of winning, translating to projected odds of -115. The Angels’ probability of 46.45% gives them projected odds of 115. This slight advantage for the Athletics aligns with the overall statistical analysis, considering their bullpen superiority and more balanced offensive capabilities.

Recommended MLB Pick Based on Our MLB Betting Model Analysis

Recommended Pick: Oakland Athletics

  • Side: Oakland Athletics
  • Pitcher: Mitch Spence
  • Odds: -111
  • Adjusted Kelly Criterion Calculated Value: 0.19 (tiny value)
  • Confidence: Moderate

The recommended MLB pick, based on our model’s analysis, is to go with the Oakland Athletics. Despite the close odds, the Athletics’ superior bullpen and more balanced offensive performance give them a slight edge in this matchup. The calculated value is modest, indicating a small but notable advantage.

Note: For final best MLB bets and first half picks, please check the “MLB Picks” page or get my MLB betting model in Google Sheets to learn how to calculate odds and make your own baseball betting projections.

Conclusion for Angels vs Athletics Prediction

In conclusion, the Angels vs Athletics prediction for July 2, 2024, suggests a slight advantage for the Athletics. Our analysis, considering starting pitchers, bullpen strength, and offensive matchups, supports this conclusion. However, it is essential to use this prediction as part of your overall betting strategy and not rely solely on it. Always shop for the best MLB baseball betting odds and take advantage of promotions and bonuses. For those looking to improve their sports betting skills, consider exploring sports betting courses that teach analytical approaches and betting model usage.

Angels vs Athletics Prediction is a valuable tool for guiding your bets, but always combine it with your own research and analysis. Happy betting!

Access my free content and join exclusive, private email circle for strategic advice, personal stories, and expert tips.

No spam. Betting value only.